Thursday, June 12, 2014

Week of June 8, 2014: The Bitter End

 

 The Bitter End
As I watched the anchor slip below the greenish waters of the the Kentucky River Palisades, the stress of a long work week was replaced by the awe and majesty of the breathtakingly beautiful bluffs.
I became tranquil and relieved as I sat and sighed.
Then from the corner of my eye I caught the last of my anchor line flop over the side and into the water.
My anchor, line, chain, and shackle were lost!  I did not tie the line end to the boat.  Fifty years boating and I just displayed the seamanship of a novice, although even a land lubber would know better.  "Stupid, stupid, stupid", I repeated to myself.  A pause, then under my breath I heard myself,
"Now that's The Bitter End!"

A little Nautical History:
The Bitt was the heavy wooden post centered in the front of the vessel.  The anchor lines were tied to the Bitt to secure the boat.  The very end of the anchor line was tied to the Bitt and called "The Bitter End."  When the anchor was lost The Bitter End left the boat and the boat could no longer anchor.

In preforming my historic act, dumb but timeless, I thought of all the sailors and captains that felt the hopeless feeling of seeing The Bitter End pass.  The small pride I felt was forgotten when purchasing a new anchor system..Oh well!
This is The Bitter End!


May your friends walk with joy on your sole and may you never awaken to your ceiling overhead.
-Accessories Michael

If you have any questions about this or other nautical terms, please let us know.



If you would  like more great stories and information like this, along with specials and deals for Loyal Customers, please join our email list here or by clicking the "Stay up to date on the latest from Stokley's Marine" tab above!

No comments:

Post a Comment